Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Whats REALLY inside your childs Nasal Aspirator???



So, in following some mom and parenting groups on Facebook, I come across different articles and all kinds of things. A lot of times I just skim over them, or think "hmm, thats interesting" but this one was too scary not to share.

So you have a new baby and you're looking through all the goods the hospital sent you home with. Typically, you'll probably have one of these:


Just a traditional, hospital, standard issue aspirator right?? 

no.

and I really mean it. NO.

The Stir posted an article this time LAST YEAR that seems to be going viral lately.  In the original photos sent in by a Kentucky mom, she shows us whats REALLY in those things, and boogers really isn't the worst of it!

MOLD!!!!!



I nearly passed out when I saw this! I was outraged! Flabbergasted! Ok, enough, but really! How could the hospital give me a tool that instead of helping my baby get better, could be making him more sick!! I hoped to the high heavens that the Kentucky mom's just wasn't cleaned properly. But no, she said she'd washed the bulb with hot and soapy water after every use. And it wasn't just her....




Facebook mom Chelsea Myers tried it for herself and posted the above picture (which was the first I saw of the topic) and later posted a link to the original article. 

Now im not saying that EVERY aspirator is going to look like this inside. But there seems to be a good chance that it will.  What you think is helping keep it clean (washing in warm water) is really contributing to something much worse! I'm convinced that if I go home and open my sons, there will be all kinds of yuck and nast.  I don't think I have the stomach for it honestly, so I'm just going to pitch it when I get home this evening. 

On the up side, we had been gifted another bulb as a part of one of those all inclusive grooming kits and that one opens up for easy cleaning. We used this one more often anyway because the syringe was shorter (and I was terrified of poking baby's brains with the hospital one), but I digress :)


So what do you guys think? Were you as grossed out as I was? I'm going to tell all my expecting friends, friends with babies, heck, even those without! Maybe if we stop using them, they'll update the design in the future.













Read the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment